Asian inspired citrus turkey recipe
Posted by Annie on Tuesday, 8 November 2016
- 21 pound turkey, defrosted
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 1 gallon water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tbsp chicken powder
- 1/4 cup melted palm sugar with 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 lemon grass split and half
- 1 or 2 oranges sliced
- 4 stick of butter
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
To make the brine:
- Add the apple cider, water, salt, chicken powder, palm sugar, brown sugar, lemon grass and orange slices to a large bucket.
- Dunk the turkey until submerged.
- Add ice.
- Cover with lid and let brine overnight 12-24 hours.
To prepare turkey:
- Pat dry.
- Use a spoon and gently lift the skin off the meat. You can also use your hands.
- Spread butter under the skin.
- Stuff the turkey with the veggies.
- Tie the turkey ends, fold the wings under.
- Add veggies and water to the roasting pan.
- Place turkey in roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake turkey covered with aluminum foil for one hour, then remove foil.
- Bake turkey until the breast temperature is 165 degrees.
- Baste turkey with pan drippings.
- Last 15 minutes, brush with honey.