I love eating this steam tapioca layered cake dessert on as a past time snack. It's soft, chewy, and coconutty. This is also known as "banh da lon" in Vietnamese. It is also known as "kuih lapis" in Malaysia. This recipe makes 1 cake.
Tapioca Cake Ingredients:
- 2 cups tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can coconut milk (13 oz) + 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cooked yellow split mung beans
- Boil the 1/2 cup water and add the sugar until disolved. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice flour and tapioca starch.
- Add the coconut + water mixture to the flour mixture. Stir.
- Add the water/sugar syrup to the mixture.
- Divide the mixture into 2 parts.
- Yellow layer - add the mung beans and mixture to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Sift the mixture to remove lumps. Add yellow food color. If you don't like mung beans, skip the mung beans!
- Green layer - add food color and mix.
- Place a metal container in a steam pot. Add one layer of green. When solid, add yellow layer. Continue until all layers are finished.
- Once cool, cut the tapioca cake. When it's warm, it is really sticky. It gets more firm once cooled. Enjoy!
Watch the video!
Add new comment